Living Here History
In 1906 the RM of Grey was formed, separating from the northern portion of the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. The RM of Grey was named after the Governor General of Canada at the time, Albert Henry George Grey, the fourth Earl of Grey. He is also known for donating the Grey Cup to the Canadian Rugby Union in 1909, which is now the championship trophy of the Canadian Football League.

New elections were necessary now that the new Municipality was assured. The newly elected Council consisted of:
 
Reeve: Mr. R.H. Staples
Ward 1: Mr. Alfred Hamel
Ward 2: Mr. F.H. Bedford
Ward 3: Mr. James Smith
Ward 4: Mr. A. Bonefoy

The first meeting was held on March 13, 1906 in Whitlam’s Hall in the Village of Elm Creek. At that meeting the first Secretary-Treasurer, W.C. Soole was appointed at a salary of $400.00 per year. Over the years the title has changed from Secretary-Treasurer to Administrator and is now referred to as Chief Administrative Officer. A lawyer was also appointed at that meeting, a salary of $60.00 for the remainder of the year. A good example of how costs have risen over the years!

The Rural Municipality of Grey municipal office eventually moved into the old Bank of Hamilton building at 34 Main Street North in Elm Creek.  In July 2011 The Rural Municipality of Grey opened the doors to it's new office located at 27 Church Avenue East in Elm Creek.

Council is still comprised of a Reeve and four Councillors and the municipality is still split in to four Wards of which the boundaries have change a bit over the years.

The Municipality is made up of 10 geographic townships extending 19.2 kilometres from north to south and 48 kilometres from east to west. The original settlers in the region were mostly French-Canadian and to a lesser extent of English descent. The Métis community has also had, at times, a strong influence in the community. The turn of the century saw a larger immigration of people from different parts of Europe. Immigrants from Belgium, the Netherlands, the Ukraine and other Slavic countries moved in to locate on prime farmland.

In recent years there has been an influx of people moving from Winnipeg into the communities located within the Rural Municipality of Grey. With it only being approximately 45 minutes away from cities like Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie, many people find the quiet, peaceful lifestyle enjoyable and often work within the Municipality itself or commute to jobs in one of the surrounding cities every day.

In 2006 the Rural Municipality of Grey celebrated their 100 year anniversary which was well attended by current and past residents, council members, staff and family/friends.